There are so many conflicting attitudes about how we should to look at the past, present and/or future of our lives. There are complete disciplines dedicated to this holy trinity of time and space, and we are inundated by quotes and philosophies.
Over our lives, we discover this by seeing how others live their lives, reading books and quotes, and so on. But...it can be confusing because of our personal belief systems.
New Age experts say that Christianity is full of crap. Christianity says New Age ideas are blasphemy. Poets put down politicians. Psychology contradicts Physics. Argh... It can be maddening.
I've done a lot of reading in my life focused on dealing with the past, making the most of the present day, and having a good future. I've (proverbially) thrown myself under the back tires of people who could share some wisdom about life. I've been very careful to focus on the positive stuff - and ignore the negative or hurtful advice.
I've come to a very simple conclusion. There are a few common themes in almost all the life philosophies out there. Now, I'm not an expert, but I think I'm onto something. Here are my discoveries:
1) What we GIVE, we get.
2) What we BELIEVE in our core, comes true.
3) What we SPEAK, materializes.
4) What we are GRATEFUL for, we get to keep.
Every moment you can, GIVE your best. BELIEVE the best. SPEAK the best. And be GRATEFUL for all of it!
All I can say is that I've seen REMARKABLE differences in my life, health and relationships since I discovered this simple conclusion. And, just to be clear, this is how I intend on going forward with this blog... and my life. I'm sorry if I annoy you, but I refuse to live my life surrounded by negativity and defeat.
I'm just a guy looking for answers like anyone else. Take what resonates with you and chalk me up to another voice in the crowd. However, I believe these simple points fit nearly every inspirational and philosophical quote out there.
So, my suggestion is to keep it simple. Do the actions that reap the results, and the answers will become evident. But in case you are interested... here are some quotes. Let's see what you think...
- The Greek philosopher Plato said, "The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future life."
- Well known Pastor, Joel Osteen says that "God is in control and he has a great plan and purpose for your life."
- Famed author and an Oprah-favorite, Ekhart Tolle says, "The past has no power over the present moment."
- Spiritual Guru Deepak Chopra says, "Every time you are tempted to react in the old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.”
- My favorite Poet, Maya Angelou says that "The horizon leans forward, offering you space to place new steps of change."
- Spiritual leader, The Dali Lama says "Everyday, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it."
- Pop culture icon and every day philosopher, Larry the Cable Guy often says "Get er done!"
- Former President of the United States, Bill Clinton said, "The future is not an inheritance, it is an opportunity and an obligation."
- Author of The Secret, Rhonda Byrne says, “Your life right now is a reflection of your past thoughts."